Day 14: May 31

 I both can and can't believe it's my last day in Italy. I can believe it because of how much I miss my husband and how much I miss having a microwave, yogurt, and full meals. I can't believe it because I feel like I have learned a lot about myself this trip. Not as an educator, like I was hoping--like what the program promised--but as a traveler and as a woman with female friends. It turns out I can room with multiple people who are mature and established in their comfort, who have children and understand different people's needs. We can move in different groups without being petty with each other. Yes, I've been jealous, but that's a personal issue that doesn't make me think poorly about anyone other than myself. I never thought I liked to travel, but it turns out I have the bug (if not the bank account). However, I want that travel to primarily be with my husband--though all five of us graduate students now realize the benefits of "girl's weekends!"

Sayinc goodbye to the host family was more difficult than I expected. Leo and Dave were this morning, before Tori and I holed up in the library again. Mary and Achi were in the afternoon, since they dropped us off at the bus station. I almost teared up. They are such a great family.

Lunch was nice, but Tori and I realized that with her ealry flight, our separate hotel, and the fact that we both had odd dreams and thus disrupted sleep last night, we’re skipping dinner. It’s sad but with an 8:30 meal, it’s too much for me on a normal day and neither of us are feeling normal. 


Cool view of the Alps on our way to Milan!

I am excited to come back to Italy with Alex.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: May 17-18, 2024

Day 4: May 21

Day 2: May 19